Tuesday, August 27, 2013

R2R V: 81113 - 82413



Return to Ruggedness – Session V


Well friends, as fate would have it, I injured my shoulder bench pressing and also found a creative interest that has kept me away from updating this journal as I should. [But no one’s reading this so it’s no biggie.] I haven’t been feeling very rugged, almost no running especially thru the woods for various reasons not the least of which are kids throwing rocks and dead animals left in garbage bags along the route. But those are just excuses. I haven’t been jumping benches or climbing pole much either. Could this be the end of this type of workout, or could I just be going through the year 13 “jinx”? In either case it’s worth documenting. I want to be able to go back and look at the year I slowed down.


A few “crazy” health issues have occurred this (calendar) year… no need to rehash it, they’ve been documented. [You’ll have to go back to the X-ZACT blog, as these journals run from June 19th of one year to June 18th of the next.]


It may not be too late to recapture these goals, if I look at them enough… internalize them…


Thinking about goals. In no particular order, just as I think of them.


#1. Keep going in the current direction; continue outdoor exercises and maybe build the endurance and confidence to participate in mud runs, warrior dashes, a 5K or two and obstacle courses. So far this has not be accomplished.


#2. Continue better eating practices. This has happened. Keep it up!

However, I think I need specific goals to be successful.


#3. I want to be bench pressing at 2004 levels; at least “250 lbs. on a bad day,” and maybe push up to 300-ish. This goal got me injured – can’t really BLAME the goal – but I won’t be benching heavy for some time.


#4. I want my torso measurements, especially hips in the 80 – 89 centimeter range. This is realistic and according to last measurements optimistically attainable.


#5. Long distance running, 5 miles minimum – or 6 to get that high. I can still do this. In fact I may have to.


Okay, let’s do it. Oh yeah, HIIT challenge with Xave 10, 1 minute rounds with 30 second breaks between rounds. [Short range goal.] I’ve done this two or three times, but not sure I can do it at will. Need to return to this practice.


The weight will do what it does. I’ll track it but not try to control it unless it gets out of hand & is fat weight. I don’t think I’d mind being a dense, muscular 195 if I could get this excess fat off of me, run five miles with little effort and bench 250 on a bad day. I need to internalize this.


As with last season, these goals are subject to review, possibly in 6 months or so. Unlike last season, this year will be – ‘televised’ in a manner of speaking. I lost my verve in ‘televising’ this session. I got one episode done. I haven’t even done a lot of eval pictures until recently.


Okay let’s go!



81113 [Sunday #54] – 188.5 23% 53.5%: woke early, no alarm, wake squats & lunges, body flex, leg work w/ ank-wts. Drank bkft, new mix, hemp protein, chia, oatmeal, wheat germ w/ veggie juice, fruit, the whole mélange. Probably should stop having tea first. Is this a new session? Can’t keep track. Outdoor training has not been happening, however I’m happy to be lifting heavy despite shoulder injury.



What will I do today? Prep for vacation, ride train to Schuylkill banks – don’t really want to, think I’ll be bored. Maybe better to organize my stuff.



81213 [Monday #55] – wake 188.5 17.5% 57.5% - great wake numbers. Diet no doubt. Haven’t bothered with pre-sleep #’s, officially on vacation and headed to the Y. Can’t stop. Seems the physique will not be maintained w/o exercise.



Kind of disappointed in the workout today. 320 seemed heavier so I stuck with it. Went lower with less reps on subsequent sets. Then did a couple of low sets at 230; deep squats hip openers in between. Wore me out in a strange way. Seated leg press, single legs 135 up high. Single leg-x 135. Calf presses, stretch quads. 1 legged wall sit, work it longer and lower.



Chill on the bank of the Schuylkill river.



81313 [Tuesday #56] – wake 185.5 22.5% 54% wt & H2O related. 8 hrs rest if not sleep. Low cal eats make energy low. Bored and not feeling like doing much last night.

Wake drank bkft… out to media. $$$ year.



81413 [Wednesday #57] – wake – good sleep. 188.5  26% 52.5% Kind of a surprise but not a big one. 100 squats – am, plus flex stuff. And low game stuff. Tried some one-arm squat thrusts. Go and wander today. Lovely day to get out.



81513 [Thursday #58] – wake 187 29% 50%. Too much tea. Woke 100 wide slow, low as possible squats … all bnt stuff. Coconut H2O – grilled cheese bkft. Still want more  energy, but won’t run!! Pissin’ me off!!



Walking around Philly with Xave, lots of drinking w/ plenty of H2O b/w.
This is the vacation weight chart, which is why
it looks so dramatic. Although that bounce did
eventually come after another dip. The gain from
vacation wasn't as much as I thought it would be.



81613 [Friday #59] – wake 187  25.5%  55% post 2. Casual wake up work. Shoulder is still sore. Got errands to run before vaca. I can feel the dehydration. Didn’t believe that weight, so doubled checked. Not bad, high 180s, but have to keep the heavy squats and leg work & add low gate stretch & hip openers, balance and core & repair shoulder. Sea salt purge today. Drank bkft and looking tight.



81713 [Saturday #60] 189.5 26.5 51.5 – woke slightly hung over. Helium last night. Fitness vaca begins today.



81813 [Sunday #61] Duck, NC, no weight check.



Run/jog about 20 minutes on beach and road. Squats and leg work after. Some pool exercise – drinks & solid food. Brought trail mix with me. First meals & H2O. probably no shakes this week. Shoulder still sore, but improving. This will be a long road back.



81913 [Monday #62] wake NC OBX – sleep through the night. Will have to get back to night work schedule, probably won’t be too difficult. No vitamins or supps on this trip.



Beach run and leg work, about 36 minutes. Down the beach and back on the street… beach-street run, let’s call it. Then leg work; deep squats, standing mule kicks, step ups, bent mule kicks, muscle flex & shower.



82013 [Tuesday #63] Duck, NC

Woke, ran the beach non-stop this time, just over ten minutes w/ back-pack – no ways it’s a mile tho. Then through the development and intervals back to the house. Ab work & squats, bkft then beach day. Salt water takes the energy. Then chilled all day – oh yeah, stretch, flex work, shoulder therapy and drink.



82113 [Wednesday #64] NC



No wake up run, maybe calisthenics later. Maybe an eve run. Last nite’s moon was awesome, first conscious moon rise ever, turns out it’s a “blue” moon” [second full moon in Aquarius) . managed some pool calisthenics and a long walk loop, beach & street. Not exactly a fitness vacation – but I’m getting some stuff in. It would be too easy to just relax and rest on the years I’ve lived.



82213 [Thursday #65] OBX – wake up and very light movement stuff. The body was kind of sore. Solid bkfts all week will have an effect. Body will respond once I get back to the standard routine. This week is like being on a diet, like a reverse diet.



Today’s training was in the ocean, most notably backwards running against the current and waves. Saved the drinking until after sundown.



One month since the shoulder injury. Better, but still sore. Still can’t bench or do full push ups. It will get better… return to “REPAIR”.



82313 [Friday #66] – Outer banks 
This is probably the best (& my favorite)
pic from OBX week. Besides being in
Daddy-mode, it gives me a chance to
eval my back. More pulling & push-
ing and less weight lifting.
Photo by Carol.



Last full day here. The running has not become a habit, although I won’t  complain about the 3 days I ran. I’ll just have to restart back in philly. I have been doing upper body muscle flex and squats intermittently.



Weight training comes easy but I haven’t established a HIIT & stretching routine. Maybe just jot something down. Ten rounds of HIIT 20 minutes as ignition, 2-4 minutes stretch. Legs- squats, lunges, air leg press, steps, in a circuit, abs legs stretches, keep it simple. Continue with squat days. Continue to work towards pistols and continue rehabbing the shoulder. Maybe I should get it checked. I’m due to see the doc anyway.



I’m going to have to clear out my system when I get back. Maybe have to figure a way to bring my juice with me. And core work, strengthening and opening.



82413 [Saturday #67] – last day of vacation and last day of Session V. nice how this works out.



Hittin the road. Not mad about the workout week or the vacation. Now to get back to what keeps me busy & photo evals, 30 – 45 days? I’m due.

Arrived home 191.5 16% 57.5% Not bad, but time to get back to the 180s.

No comments:

Post a Comment