Sunday, December 15, 2013

Return to Ruggedness: Session XIII 120113 - 121413



DECEMBER –
 
SESSION XIII – 120113 - 121413

How rare is it to start a session on the first day of the month? I can’t remember what I was thinking as this month began. I know one thing, 2013 is the first year in a long time I am actually looking forward to being over.

120113 [Sunday #166] – WAKE 192 20/55.5 – got these digits back to the “norm.” Up before the sun. worked some punches from zero + gloves to gloves + wrist weights to gloves + ankle weights. Shoulder work/movement – kicks with ankle weights and 2x ankle weights.

Restarted protein supplements w/ chia, wheat germ and creatine. Going to do this every other day this month and maybe increase in January. No dramatic weight loss or fluctuation during 2 weeks of no protein supps.

Changed up the morning vitamins as well; BCAA, CLA, B12, CoQ10, DHEA, Resveratrol, the big 6, maybe add 7, Saw Palmetto perhaps. Last week of Temple this week, so maybe get back to the track. I might surprise myself. Weather is predicted to be mild next 10 – 14 days, some of them wet.

120213 [Monday #167] – lots of sleep. Wake 191. One hour of training with body & body weights, etc. 25 burpees to start. These wear me out but I need to conquer them. Still not adding pushups, but they will add another dimension when the shoulder is strong enough to add them.

Strong-ish spin. It’s phenomenal that feeling of being exhausted and not sleepy. I’d love to sleep right now, but – work…

120313 [Tuesday #168] – wake 191 – 45/45  until the whiz then adjusted to 28/51 – interesting change. Makes me wonder. Perhaps I’ll research one day. Woke up early and strong. Maybe I actually banked some sleep.

Pre-TGX Home Work:

Burpees 26+12(gl + wr)+10 = 48
Punches 300 (gl+wr)
Half Pushups 30
Kicks 100 w/ ank wts.
Pounders – 100 [good stank sweat]
Woke with caffeine withdraw headache, but tea fixed that.

TGX was good – showed drills. My participation was about 40%. Aqua was good too. Burrito after – no guilty pleasure though. Body feels a bit different, but more energetic.

120413 [Wednesday #169] – Wake 191 41/46
50 burpees in 3 sets [20=15=15] personal best.
One foot hops, punches with gl+wr. Burpees with gloves & wrist weights. Shake with fruit & veggie juice & egg whites. Veggie burger. Aqua GX today.

Full sleep, woke @ alarm + 15-20 minutes more. Slight headache so tea was first. Aqua was good. Nice to have athletes in the pool.

120513 [Thursday #170] – wake 191  33/49 or close (at some point this month I decided not to be a nerd and round these halves up.) It was balmy and foggy today with some obvious humidity so I didn’t wake up dry. Woke with the alarm, plus a few extra minutes.

Elim has been off schedule and I am wondering why. I don’t think my eating has changed that much, or perhaps it has. I’m about to give Wawa salads a break again and make my own, so we’ll see how that works out. This means the chicken and turkey I’ve been getting in the salads will be eliminated.



I restarted protein shakes this month/session. Every other day so far. It’s only day 5, so 3rd day of drinking breakfast.

I trained before the YGX – here’s the rub:

50 squats
100 front kicks w/ ank
30 bow squats
100 back kicks w/ ank
200 punches w/ gl+wr
100 pounders
100 torso strikes
100 standing leg curls
40 half pushups, still feel the strain
*upper left back slight spasm around rhombus.

20 burpees before class at the Y. GX was good. We did drills, special forces, 45 second leg work & 45 second wt work too.

Not very hungry after exercise. I just kind of eat almonds, cashews, etc when I get home. 3 cups of tea today… oh well.

Visually the body looks tight. The torso is getting – or at least looking more firm. Measuring day is coming this month. Dare I snap a photo? I guess I should just for comparison’s sake. Guess I’m communicative tonight.

120613 [Friday #171] – wake 191 e – extra sleep today. Rainy and dreary but managed some home work.

Barbends – 40d bows out, 15d more
20 burpees
100 punches, gl+ank wts
100 torso punches
50 pounders
20 high blocks (gl+ank)
26 years today
100 down punches and various other shoulder work.

Didn’t eat much. 2 cups of tea. Omelet [whites] for dinner, no drink.

120713 [Saturday #172] – 26 years on the job today.

Seems like the system is purging. Between daily burpees and other activities and maybe the reintroduction of protein, he system is updating itself, so to speak. Let’s keep this going. Daily burpees for as long as possible and if I skip a day I’ll have to come back strong.

Wake 192.5  43/45 – surprised by the weight gain, despite some apparent cleansing. Good home work out today. Made a burpees break through. Felt both strong and energetic today. Drank p-drink post workout, dinner out with Tim & Eva.

The Work:
50 bow squats
65 burpees [28+15+12+10=] last 3 sets with gloves & wrist weights.
200 punches gl+wr
50 kicks ank
30 kix 2x ank
40 back kix 2x ank + 20 more
60 step leg curls

Plus other stuff, the usual shrugs, shoulder work, etc. the focus is on max burpees and shoulder repair. There are still some angles that still hurt, but working through. Still no pushups w/ the burpees.

120813 [Sunday #173]  - Wake 192.5 48/43 
120713 back work pays
First time body fat was higher than H2O. No way half my weight is body fat – so as before accuracy of this scale is suspect. Immediate redo gave different results, 30/50 – but I’m not 30% body fat either. Think I’ll go with elixir today. Had thai food and cocktail last night. I’ll probably have time to exercise and some candle shopping before 3pm massage day – but not for me.

So, today ended up being a bust in so many ways. First the car wouldn’t start so I had to pull the battery and cart it down to AutoZone for a replacement and install it as a blizzard was hitting the city. Spent most of the day in the house and sleeping lots. By the way, I finally created my sleep room. Darked out the back room – better for sleeping, even though it’s been cloudy and I won’t have to sleep during the day much longer. Guess it will help. We’ll see.

20 burpees just before midnight to keep the streak alive. Then ab work over the transition.

120913 [Monday #174] – wake about 6am  189 – E:  Very sore from abs work. Low eats facilitated weight drop. It will no doubt return quickly. More training today, a massage – for me, spin class at the Y and work.

Today went well, got some early morning work done. 3 sets of burpees.  Massage [results] lean muscle coming and back is tapering well. Shoulder is doing better.

No sleep. Taught spin at the y – kicked my ass again. Couldn’t sleep at home. Cod for dinner and tea. Then to work. Oh yeah, protein (before spin) drink day.

The work;

100 punches gl+ank
100 upper cuts

Shoulder laterals and various shoulder work, shrugs, roles, raises, etc with the gloves and ankle wts. Biceps & triceps work. Floor work for shoulders; pull overs, shrugs, etc.

Burpees – 12+12+8=32

121013 [Tuesday #175] – wake 189 44/46: Very good sleep. Short home work out & chilled most of the day.

Elimination isn’t as regular as usual and I’m not drinking as much water. More tea because of the weather. Angling back to solid food, less shakes because they are cold. Maybe go back to eggs and find some decent meat for occasions.

Training

20 burpees gl+wr – not very strong
40+20 bow/prisoner squats (ank wts) 60 tot.
50 – 45 degree front kix (ank wts)
40 – half push ups
50 – back kix (ank wts)
25 – ski squats (knees close together)
30 + 30 ea. Front straight leg raises (ank wts.)  60 tot.
Abs work and lower core training w/ ank wts

121113 [Wednesday #176] – Mi casa 7:30am – dropped 5 tough ones at the gig. Purge or beans or cod or ab work of maybe it was fat! Been drinking little water on the job, but not anything else though (no tea at the gig) or soda or juice. Just not feeling thirsty so I don’t think to drink. Got to fix that. Had a Boston cream donut before I left the job. Maybe my 3rd donut this year. [#6 ha ha!!]. Got a few nods in at the gig so may be able to wake strong before the alarm.

Wake 189 E: Up early. Dropped 6 in a 12 hour time frame, but no weight change.

Juggling act – dealing with Verizon and meeting with John Leary. Maybe some training before work. Burpees if nothing else. ACV before and after wake up. Turkey avocado @ Cosi – bland.

Burpees 15+10+10=35 

Burpees is my new bench press. I have strong days when I have done  50 or more [not many thus far] and I have days when I get 10 and call it a day. I want to keep moving on these, I think it’s the toughest move I’m doing these days.


121213 [Thursday #177] – wake 190.5

20 burpees – tough!  200 glove punches.

GX YMCA – made it easy and made it fun. Easy day.

121313 [Friday #178] – wake 190.5: Turned on the heat. Need the (furnace) system cleaned.

10 burpees warmed me up punches series with ankle wts. Noticed back expansion extends to mid torso and may account for wider measurements? The battle continues to be around the bottom and the sides.

I think I can afford to eat better, both economically and nutritionally. Hard getting out of the house today, but I think I’ll make it. I have to, to clear my lungs.

121413 [Saturday #179] – 190.5 wake

20 burpees
30 bow squats
Breathing workout session with Mei-Yann. Ending this session with a wintery mix and a visit to an art opening.

Totals this session. What am I counting??

Burpees………365 [not bad]
Kicks (Front)..330 [only front kicks are included, but back kicks and side kicks are done also]
Pounders…….250 [these are for shoulder rehab and sometimes done with ankle wts. On the arms.]
Pushups…….. 140 [half push ups and not as intense as before. I work to soreness]
Squats……….. 245 [I can do more squats.]

Previous totals: from 102713 - 121413

Burpees – 124+213 = 337 + 365 = 702
Front kicks – 310 + 1510 = 1,820 + 330 = 2,150
Pushups – 104 + 39 = 143 + 140 = 283
Squats – 90 + 500 = 590 + 245 = 835
Chins – 10 + 53 = 63 [need to get back to these, go halves if necessary]
Sit Ups – 95 [no longer counting sit ups, but increasing core/ab training]
Dips – 52
Pistols – 42

Not much need to accumulate punches anymore as I am doing 100’s almost daily. I should focus on burpees and squats more, until the shoulder heals enough for actual push ups and pull ups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment