Monday, June 2, 2014

Return to Ruggedness Session XXI - 32314 - 40514



SESSION XXI – 32314 – 40514

As I update this log my weight has dropped to 187, purposefully, however I don’t feel I have been diligent enough with recording my workouts or the results. Maybe this is the change that needs to take place. Not to be so ‘anal’ about it. In the last session I started tracking the calories burned – the science actually works out in real life. [Maybe there’s a chart somewhere.]

Also, spring officially started, but someone forgot to tell the weather. We were in a deep freeze for two days and even got snow on March 25th. I haven’t been out in the park yet, not for a lack of psyching myself up – or maybe I’m making excuses.

I have almost put out of my mind the bet/challenge I made for myself to lose weight. Well perhaps ‘bet’ isn’t the right word – rewards challenge is better. $10 per pound going from 191 to 175, which is 16 pounds and worth $160.00 and 3 thermal compression fit shirts.

Once again I have started running down the parkway. I think I have two days where I actually ran the whole two mile course, in about 30 minutes, give or take. Running makes the front of my legs feel “good” in the worked way. I have to keep that in mind when I run. Benefit #2 – I always lose weight when I run! I could probably run myself down to 175 lbs., however there is a point where the benefits flatten out.

The Yoga 2 workshop reawakened my interest in Yoga, [I also think it will benefit my minimum wage fitness scheme. This morning I did four sun salutations, more focusing on the holds and the stretches and not so much moving on the breaths. They will all have to come together, as they come together.


32314 [Sunday #278] – wake 191 Back to the top. No sleep. On the road most of the day sleeping in the Jeep… worth it! Go to Yoga 2 @ Temple. Come home… sleep.

32414 [Monday #279] – wake 188. Much sleep. Deeper wt drop than usual, but I see this as a good sign. Weight chart looks roller-coaster-ish again. I want more downs than levels. Did some exercise but no actual routine. Cycle class @ the Y in 15 minutes. Always up for this!!

Powerful spin class. Oh yeah, dental appointment today. Looks okay. Gum treatment in the future.

32514 [Tuesday #280] – wake 188 2nd day in a row!! Various movement all day TGX now some pushups. Ate greens with each meal. TGX rocked – kept track of calorie counts for nearly 8 hours.

Hour 1 – during class – 985 cals.

3:04 – 3085 cals. (Taught aqua class the second hour)

4:03 – 3713

4:45 – 4040

5:00 – 4114

6:00 – 4330

7:08 – 4411

7:45 – 4457

This was where I called it a night. I was amazed, burning more than 500 calories an hour, 6 hours after the high intensity session! The science really works. I need to figure daily calorie burn average, based on a regular day. How many calories do I burn per hour, per pound of body weight?

Today’s numbers:
4457 calories/465 minutes = 9.58 cals per minute x 60 minutes = 575 cals per hour/188 lbs = 3 lbs per hour, per lb body weight.

32614 [Wednesday #281] – wake 187 43/45: amazingly or not, dropped a pound. I burned enough calories yesterday that, theoretically in any case, I should be 1 pound of fat less today, and I am!! Woo hoo!! This is also the lowest of the year. But it’s not promised. I’d better be disciplined.

Chillin at home – random movement exercises. Ate an angus burger for lunch. (not the best results, stuffed up and gassy). No aqua, went to bed too early.

I actually did some work today, 2 x 5 burpees with pushups, shadow boxing with wrist wts & gloves.

32714 [Thursday #282] –  wake 187  41/46. Yoga AM 4 sun salutations and stretching after then breakfast. No goal today – Work – pushups: 100 before noon (5x20). Dropped 3… salad for lunch. Trail mix, snacks, pretzels. YGX this eve. YGX was strong. Burned some!!

32814 [Friday #283] – wake 187 31/50 – pleased, but not satisfied. AM Yoga & stretches. Work: pushups 3 x 15, felt weak on the pushups, so I left the ego. Otherwise very chill day. Opted out f pizza Friday, but there was a plain slice left over… I ate it.

CPR Cert @ 5, so diner life for maybe an hour. Got 2 episodes done.

32914 [Saturday #284] – wake 190!!! How did this happen? No matter. Did about 20 squats, otherwise nothing before work. At the gig, hangs, pulls, chins, etc throughout the tour. Upper Body.. shoulder can handle it. Did a bunch of low rep, short ROM pulls & chins @ work. Didn’t feel enthused about it though.

Got a few squat presses with 30 lbs. 2-4 reps (more with the 20s) – but I can do it. No running [rain], yoga or boxing [lazy]. The break is taking me, ha , ha. Hung out with the Lama, beer & clam chowder.

33014 [Sunday #285] – wake 191.5: Back to the top. Amazing, after several weeks, months of going from 191.5 to 187 (much more dramatic than the chart suggests) I go back up in two days. But I know this is just a matter of matter. It’s food & water weight rather than fat (or muscle) weight. I need to move this through the body and get back to the road.

The weather’s been the same… water. It’s doing what it’s been doing, except what was snow is now rain.

AM-Gig – 30 difficult pushups. Most pushups at the gig are on bars. +25. [mouth is dry and H2O doesn’t seem to fix it.

33114 [Monday #286] – wake 190: warm up, yoga, stretch legs. Need to get back to Eat Sweat. Change daily.

Gig – 2x30 pushups, trying to do a set once an hour. [+20+20+25+20+20+25 = 190
+10 to make it 200.

Cycling class – hard core cycling was strong.
Scores work – 2; home – 1; Y – 1. Elim is good, ‘regular’

APRIL

March 2014 - The slow.... painfully slow descent in weight. 

40114 [Tuesday #287] –  wake 188.5. warm up, yoga 4 sun salutations, 2 mile run/walk [had to slow down when the breath got short]. Cardio sculpt & Aqua… feeling it. Ankle wts for legs during cardio sculpt.

Strong fitness day.

40214 [Wednesday #288] – wake 188.5 – Yoga, push ups, etc. Random stuff, opted out of a run, blamed in on recovery. Legs feel worked, aqua this evening.

Post aqua dead lift session I: 135 x 6; 225 x 3; 245 x 3. I was psyched about this.

40314 [Thursday #289] – WAKE  187.5 E! Loosen up, dynamic tai chi. Yoga, 5 rounds sun sal. Leg and body stretch.

Work – 20 pushups to start +20+20+25+5 (reverse grip)

YGX was okay. I feel like I’m slowing down, but I’m somewhat in denial. However to admit I’m slowing down will help me to do something about it, or deal with it. There are probably 2 schools – I want to go to the “Do something About it” school. And that means, recognize and adjust. Back off the speed, add power and flexibility, balance and build gradually.

I can see in/near my biceps where the subcutaneous fat had dissolved, leaving some skin dangling. Solution, bigger muscles. Back to training like a body builder. Wednesday [yesterday] started deadlifts…

40414 [Friday #290] – wake 187 E: morning warm ups, dynamic tai chi, yoga 3 sun salutations, leg stretch. Must include quadriceps stretch, get the heels to the cheeks.

@ work 10 reverse grip pushups, reverse grip all day. Continue shoulder repair. [4 x 10].

Temple Friday – Back to leg presses & static holds. Seated calf raises & shin flex. Good feeling, rockin 600 lbs leg press,

40514 [Saturday #291] – wake 190.5 Paying the price for dark beer, pizza Friday and eating @ a bar. However it’s a pound lower than last weekend’s debauchery, or maybe because it was only 1 beer. Dropped an early one today. Glad to get it out of the way before work. The body is still adjusting to this schedule. Double snoozed & skipped exercise for chores (dishes). I am envisioning pushups at work. Expecting leg soreness around 4p from yesterday’s presses.

Gig – reverse pushups: 10+12+8(feet elevated)+10 (flat)

Air squats 20: Legs are beginning to sore up! Legs never did get real sore, like back in the day. I think they are missing the workout. Breath work w/ Mei-Yann, then up too late. Salmon salad @ Broad st diner. Avocado & tomato at home.

End of Session 21

No comments:

Post a Comment